Tuesday, January 8, 2013

First Soap of the Year - What a Bad Start!

I went on a 2 week long beach vacation with family during the holidays, oh the sunny beach and warm blue ocean... ahh...
Back to reality!  Came back from paradise, partially bored, guess relaxing beach side isn't really for restless me.  I got eager to soap, can't wait to put my vision to work!  Everything seemed to work smoothly through the process, surprisingly no hiccups.  I even video taped myself!

An hour later I went to check up on it (because I'm restless and impatient) it started to gel in the center.  I usually don't gel my soap, no reason, just personal preference.  I thought it's winter time, temperature is already much lower than summer, no need to prevent gelling, well, boy was I wrong.  Once soap starts to gel, I prefer it to gel all the way to avoid having "power circle/oval" we the soapers call the partial gel effect.  My instant reaction was to turn on my oven for a quick couple minutes and use the the heat to force complete gel.  Well, I totally forgot I used melt and pour soap shell embeds on my soap top...

Seaside Cotton Soap, I now declare war on you!

7 comments:

  1. :(

    It still looks nice, just less sculpted.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, that's totally something I would do too..lol! Great save though Emily, I love the beach glass effect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still gorgeous! Whne I make mistakes (far worse than yours) I turn them into laundry soap so never anything wasted. Life. Soap. All the same thing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, well, the soap still looks great even with the tops cut off. I like the beach glass. I hope the soap didn't make a mess in your oven!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so glad that I put a baking pan underneath the mold when I popped it into the oven for easy removal purpose. Saved my oven for sure!

      Delete
  5. Gosh, I can't tell you how many times I've done similar things before. I'm glad you were able to save it and I really still love how it looks. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Patricia WesterveltMay 2, 2013 at 2:36 PM

    Personally, I like the melted top better. The green shows up more and the overall effect is softer :)

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis